Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Cat Paradise 1 - Yuji Iwahara, 岩原裕二, Amy Forsyth

I picked up this ridiculous-sounding manga about a silly girl who goes to a boarding school where students can bring their cats because I enjoyed the author's much darker King of Thorn series. I would never have guessed reading in a void that it was the same author; the only thing remotely similar is the fairly creepy mutated-looking monsters.

Here even the monsters are less serious. The threat is real but they're a tad silly so far: the giant rampaging anger hog and the fox-creature (it is called a fox but I wouldn't have guessed from the appearance) obsessed with hair. There is a so-far slight but interesting back story with some bad magic that happened in the previous century and the school being set up on the spot to guard against the return of the animal monsters. Otherwise it is pretty fluffy: the heroine Yumi is a kindly nitwit and none of the other students stand out much yet. My favorite character so far is the heroine's cat. Kansuke is grumpy but devoted to the dumb girl who rescued him from the street, despite her endless attempts to put him in silly costumes.