Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Dime-Store Alchemy: The Art of Joseph Cornell (New York Review Books Classics) by Simic. Charles ( 2011 ) Paperback - Simic. Charles
This book is excellent. It has writing about Cornell and from Cornell and inspired by Cornell. It has prose poems and references to poets and art and artists writing about art.

What it doesn't have, unfortunately, is the art itself. There are few poorly-reproduced black-and-white photos of Cornell's works, lumped together in the middle, but that's it. And Simic rarely elucidates which (if any) particular piece he is thinking of. If you, reader, are familiar with Cornell's corpus you may sometimes guess which piece Simic has in mind, but it would be so much lovelier if this were a lavish book with paired color plates and referenced poems (eg Dickinson's "Centuries of June," something by Rimbaud) printed out.

(Soap Bubble Set, Latitude and Longitude)

A soap bubble went to meet infinity.

"Pink Palace"

Another oneiric playhouse. A phantom palace in a forest of bare trees, hoar frost and night.

I pursue an image, no more.
--Gerard de Nerval