Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar

Shadows moderately dark

The Year of Shadows - Claire Legrand

See the cover? OK, it is dark in color, but aside from that the illustration style seems pretty cute and juvenile. This led me to expect a light and fluffier novel than this actually is. That's not a complaint -- I would probably have read it sooner had I not feared it would be too twee for me, as many recent middle grade books have been.

In fact this story is pretty serious and rather dark. Legrand accurately portrays the anger and confusion of people who are facing serious life issues. And the ghosts have some pretty sad backstories, too! I appreciated that this ghost-helping process was difficult for all involved and was an active process rather than just a mediumistic type deal.

Since much is made of Olivia's artistic talent and how dark her sketches are, it would have been nice had the illustrations reflected that. I would have loved to have them be Olivia's drawings, actually. I didn't dislike the ones that were used, please don't be hurt illustrator! I just thought they weren't the best match for the tone of the book.