Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
— feeling big smile
Warlock Holmes - A Study in Brimstone - G.L. Denning

This was such a fun read, smart and hilarious. I was sorry when it was over. I recommend it highly, but primarily for those who've read the original stories, as much of the amusement comes from how closely Denning keeps to the details, while really having something entirely different happen. This is described as mash-up, but it's more like a re-write. The concept is that all the Holmes mysteries are really supernatural in nature, with the famous deductions being made up by Watson to hide the truth. Do persist beyond the first retelling even if you don't love it -- the rest are better. What the heck, with that donut as plot point? I suspect the author started this as a complete joke, then began taking it more seriously but didn't go back and revise that first one. It ends in a cliffhanger, so here's hoping book two comes out soon!