Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Library Lil - Suzanne Williams,  Steven Kellogg (Illustrator)
From infancy, Lil loves books and storytelling. And is super-strong. So she naturally becomes a super-librarian, swooping in to save non-readers from themselves. And from motorcycle gangs.

The more Kellogg's books are about people, the less they work for me. His animals are so expressive and adorable, but his people all look the same and are kind of lumpy and clumsy and blah. Lil looks just like the girl in the previous Kellogg book I read, [b:A Rose for Pinkerton|454427|A Rose for Pinkerton|Steven Kellogg|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311648490s/454427.jpg|1812479]. Her cat (which has no role in the plot) has more expression than she does.

Also, I did not find the premise that all people need to learn to love books is to have their TVs taken away and the books forced into their cringing hands.

As if often the case with Kellogg, my favorite thing was the peripheral details in the illustrations: the kids at the library reading other Kellogg books, the motorcycle gang brawling over who gets to read [b:The Mouse and the Motorcycle|232109|The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)|Beverly Cleary|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348990967s/232109.jpg|2029611] first, the man being told by the computer YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Fun enough but definitely not one of Kellogg's best.