Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Hedgehog for Breakfast - Ann Turner Ha ha... ha?

The concept of this book hinges on the semantic ambiguity of the phrase "have so-and-so for [dinner/lunch/breakfast]. Does the fox paterfamilias want to eat his neighbor, or just have her over? His children assume the former and obediently, but rather reluctantly, go to deliver the invitation and bring back the guest of honor.

I see how and why this is intended to be humorous, but for me it missed. The tone is off. The fox children's unease with the situation and the anthropomorphic nature of the animals make it not work. The characters are too human in their clothing and their politeness. The brothers' whispered worries regarding manners ("should we offer her our arms?") and Mrs. Hedgehog's hesitation about removing her clothes to "bathe" in the boiling pot cancel out the naturalness of predators-eat-prey and make the situation disturbing rather than silly.

Lisa McCue's illustrations were cute if a little generic.