Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
The boy who had wings, - Jane Yolen
Vaguely like a Greek myth, although it doesn't indicate that it was based on one.

Aetos is born with wings. Therefore he is shunned, even by his father. For years he hides his wings and resists the urge to fly. One winter, his father is trapped by a storm, and Aetos flies to rescue him. After the ordeal he is very ill, and his wings fall off. He recovers and subsequently lives like a normal man.

I'm not sure I got this story. I guess loosing his wings is supposed to be a good thing? After docilely accepting years of abuse, he risks his life, and therefore gets to be normal as a "reward"? Regardless of whether one thinks that's a good thing, I don't think it usually works that way in real life.

If you're not a little kid, read [b:Autobiography of Red|61049|Autobiography of Red|Anne Carson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320541739s/61049.jpg|1396256] instead.