Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Miss Buncle Married - D.E. Stevenson
Not as superbly clever or as screamingly funny as the first book -- Miss Buncle's writing and her book's relation to the real life of the village added a dimension that pushed that one from good to great -- but still quite witty and entertaining.

The former Miss Buncle and her new husband Mr Abbott move house in order to get out of having to attend bridge parties. Of course, their new town has its own set of local dramas and entanglements and colorful characters.

I wasn't very pleased with the end. Especially the valorization of motherhood. "I'm going to do something much, much cleverer," Barbara announces. "Anybody could write a book--I've going to have a baby." And even before the pregnancy, there is an ongoing theme of Barbara having to give up writing because she's married. But I don't think it was considered that unsuitable in the 1930s for married women to write (especially since she used a pen name). Stevenson herself was married. Barbara really wants to write -- she keeps having to resist the urge -- she's even written most of a new book already -- and the other characters, even her husband, don't seem adamant about it. I didn't get why that was the end, her having to give up writing and I guess sort of getting the baby as a reward for being a good womanly wife.

But up till that I enjoyed the book, and many of the character sketches are amazing.