Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Wonderland - Tommy Kovac,  Sonny Liew
Who is Mary Ann?

The White Rabbit's maid never appears in Carroll's book. This isn't exactly an alternate-viewpoint retelling of Alice and Wonderland so much as a postscript. Alice has disappeared, as she does at the end of the novel, but the shock waves of her tumultuous visit are still reverberating. Some denizens of Wonderland hope for her return, while others fear it.

And what was up with those sisters in the treacle well? Treacle zombies!

This was cute and clever and had a lot of potential that it never quite lived up to. It was fluffy, and I mean that in a volumetric as well as a stylistic sense. For all it's giddy ridiculousness, [b:Alice in Wonderland|13023|Alice in Wonderland (Alice, #1)|Lewis Carroll|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1166512952s/13023.jpg|2933712] is not fluff, and I was hoping for something similarly meaty from Kovac. I didn't get it. I enjoyed this, but don't expect it to be lingering in my memory now that it's over. However, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pick up something else by this author when I want a quick, amusing read.

3.5