Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Maybe This Time - Jennifer Crusie Like several of Crusie's recent collaborations, this wobbles away from the romance genre but doesn't quite make it all the way to thriller or action. However, it does flow more evenly and the relationships, while certainly not her best, are more convincing than those in Wild Ride, or The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes, which failed to show any connection, affection or compatibility between her romantic pairs. Here the relationship-building we see is more between the heroine and the kids she is taking care of than with the hero, but since we know from the outset that they were once married we have this prior connection to make their feelings more plausible.

Only after finishing the book did I see Crusie's explanation that it was inspired by [b:The Turn of the Screw|12948|The Turn of the Screw|Henry James|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rAkcucrQL._SL75_.jpg|990886] and her wondering how the story would have gone had the governess been more sensible. I think it helps to know this going in.