Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Art and Death - Chris Townsend Simon Critchley, Jean-Luc Nancy, Heidegger, Derrida, Barthes, Maurice Blanchot, Jonathan Strauss, Paola Marrati, Bataille, Nietzsche, Louis Marin, Jan Potocka, Elaine Scarry, Jonathan Dollamore, Aries, Bacon, Paul De Man, Hegel, Ernst van Alphen -- that's just the first ten pages of name-dropping (names of actual artists and historical figures excluded). If you are vaguely familiar with the basic concepts of these theorists and want an overview of what they said on the theme(s) of art and death, this is a good way to bone up quickly and look smart or pretentious, whichever you're going for.

I picked this up for the essay on Meatyard and only read that and the intro. The intro is, as I have already indicated, pretty much a pastiche of the ideas of smarter people; the Meatyard essay is pretty much obvious statements dolled up with jargon and Latin phrases to sound more intellectual. For instance, Meatyard corrodes the boundaries of the photograph from within by creating a fiction about a real community. That is not a novel insight nor, frankly, is it something a reasonably thoughtful person couldn't deduce from looking at the photographs unaided by scholarly hermeneutics.

Unless you're looking for something to plagiarize reference for a paper, my advice is skip this book and spend your money on a good photography collection instead.