Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Cat And Canary (Andersen Press Picture Books) - Michael Foreman Cat lives in a small apartment with his best friend, Canary. As soon as their owner leaves for work each day, Cat lets Canary out of the cage and they play. Other cats and birds watch in bemusement, but don't seem to mind. The only dark spot on their happy times is Cat's longing to fly like his friend. When he finds a kite caught on an antenna, he can't resist trying it out. At first it is wonderful to soar over the landscape and see new places, but as the sun goes down and the snow begins to fall, Cat wonders -- how will he ever get home?

This was a lovely book. I really like the story, the friendship between the animals, and the art. There was one small thing I didn't like, which is how lacking affection the owner seems to be toward his pets. But he is only on the scene briefly, and I just changed his lines when reading this to my cat.