Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Down the Back of the Chair - Margaret Mahy, Polly Dunbar Odd little verse story about an overwhelmed father who finds a succession of increasingly bizarre items "down the back of the chair" as he searches for his car keys. Although quite fanciful, the story is surprisingly realistic in aspects -- the grubbiness of the under-parented toddlers, for instance, and the anxiety of the older girl that her father will be fired and have no money if he doesn't find the keys in time. I don't know whether this is just Mahy, who never shies away from social difficulties, or a regional difference, but I can't think offhand of any American picture books that depict small children being aware of financial concerns. The few I can think of that address issues such as poverty at all portray the "victims" as other, never as characters whose point of view the reader is sharing... Probably American publishers assume that poor kids don't read.

I did not care for the illustrations so much, especially the round, staring, immanent-psychotic-break eyes.