Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Darger: The Henry Darger Collection at the American Folk Art Museum - Brook Davis Anderson, Michel Thevoz, Henry Darger, John Parnell Darger's body of work is so extensive that it easy to selectively emphasize or avoid certain aspects. Some shows play it safe, displaying bucolic landscapes and frolicsome children and leaving out the scenes where those landscapes are littered with bloodied corpses and the children are dragged away in chains. Other curators gravitate to the darker elements, laying out image after image of naked hermaphroditic children, sensual winged creatures, and violent soldiers. The story itself is so strange, disjointed and above all long, that it is hardly possible to display it in a way that communicates the entire plot. In this volume, Anderson does a pretty good job balancing the violent, sexual, and decorative sides of Darger's work and instead leaves out the complex religious dimension, although there is a brief note about it at the end, by someone else.

Good reproduction quality, and I appreciated having at least some of the text as captions, since it is otherwise so small that it is barely legible.