Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Pelle's New Suit - Elsa Beskow This book shows how a little boy got his new suit back before ready-to-wear clothing. But making a new suit is not just about the steps of preparing and spinning the wool, it is also about the cooperative exchange of skills and labor that occurred in small communities. Pelle raises the lamb himself and shears it, but then must ask a series of relatives and neighbors for assistance in the multiple steps of making the wool into thread, the thread into cloth, cloth into suit, etc. In exchange he helps with chores and errands.

I liked that Pelle had responsibility even though he was a kid, but still seemed like a real child, not a miniature grown-up. The illustrations show younger children doing various chores and playing games in the background, depicting a gradual increase in responsibility. You can see some of them looking admiringly at Pelle, as little kids do at "big" boys and girls.

Can you really make a suit from just one's lamb worth of wool, though?