Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
May I Bring a Friend? - Beatrice Schenk de Regniers, Beni Montresor I think this suffered a little from being read so close to What Do You Say, Dear?, which has a similar wacky sense of humor and a not-dissimilar rhythm. But where that had a clear purpose, this is more surreal. A child is invited to tea with the king and queen; he asks if he can bring a friend. The friend turns out to be a giraffe, fortunately a polite one. The child is invited back for successive meals, each time accompanied by an increasingly wild animal. There was some cognitive dissonance for me between the illustrations, in which the king and queen look rather distressed or shocked, and the text in which they speak politely. I suppose if a guest brings an ill-mannered person/animal to dinner you have to put a brave face on it. But they keep inviting the kid back so presumably they really don't mind? I don't know. Perhaps this wouldn't bother a child at all, but I felt like I was missing something.

It was an okay book, but there are several similar ones I prefer: Sesyle Joslin's that I mentioned already, The Tiger Who Came to Tea, Alligators All Around, or for Montersor's illustrations I preferred The Witches of Venice.