Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Beauty and the Beast: Visions and Revisions of an Old Tale - Betsy Hearne, Larry DeVries There were points at which I was not entirely convinced by Hearne's interpretations, but overall it was a very interesting study of the permutations of the tale. The research is very solid, and the intelligence and naturalness of Hearne's ideas and prose style are especially evident in contrast to the pretentious, faux-academic BS appendix, which to me read almost like a satire of the sort of ungrounded, self-indulgent theoretical interpretation that makes people without PhDs mock literary criticism. Except Devries' citation isn't very good, so academics won't like it, either. Skip Appendix 1 unless you need some bizarro quotes for your term paper. I wish I had, since it kind of ended the book on a sour note for me, when I had really enjoyed most of it.

If you have only a readerly interest in Beauty and the Beast, this is still worth picking up as it suggests many versions (some now obscure) and similar tales for further reading.