Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
The Magic Nesting Doll - Jacqueline K. Ogburn Beautifully detailed Russian-inspired illustrations really make this book special. They are in a style that will appeal to fans of Hyman or Craft, although I don't think they are quite as top notch (or Long's best work). I did find the use of a limited color palette (primarily blue and red, with supporting greens and yellows with transitional brown) very interesting and artistic, especially the way they shift in dominance as the heroine prevails over the cursed winter.

The story, which combines a number of traditional elements, was nice but lacked something. The fact that the first two of the three magic aides basically did nothing to further the girl's efforts seemed weak. I understand why the magical number three was needed, but it would have been stronger had there been more sense of progress, or if the heroine had needed to use her wits or something rather than just the magic doll.