Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
A Dignity of Dragons - Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Nicoletta Ceccoli Disappointing. While Ogburn clearly love mythology and fairy tales, I once again was left with the feeling that she doesn't quite get them. The Lady and the Lion, which is more of an adaptation of existing tales, worked a lot better but still seemed a touch off somehow. Here, where she is making up group names for mythical beasts, it didn't seem like she had thought very hard about it at all. The name choice were too obvious, too shallow; they have nothing of the surprisingness or obscurity of the real thing. Also, despite the brief endnotes on the creatures, I didn't think she'd put much thought into the different cultures they come from and what sort of names would be used. A "splash of mermaids"? Really?

Nor does she seem to have any sense of the linguistic roots of this type of terminology. I'm pretty sure some of these animals already have established names that are not the one's she used; likewise, a couple terms she picks are already used for real animals. A waste of a neat idea, and a waste of an opportunity to introduce younger readers to mythical beasts.

As for Ceccoli's illustrations, I do think it is better suited atmospherically to this type of book rather than to narrative, but I still didn't love it. For one thing the pages seemed to lack focus points to stop the eye (something that is pretty elementary in art theory). Also it was just too cute for me, although that may have been deliberate to stop the monsters from being scary to little kids.