Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Persephone - Sally Pomme Clayton, Virginia Lee As soon as I saw the cover image I wanted this book. It is perfect for the myth: lovely and sad and dark and mysterious. Several other illustrations were also quite striking, especially the one where Demeter's cloak is turning into storm cloud to spread winter over the earth. I like the visual connections the illustrator made between the gods and the natural forces they represent. Those images are the most memorable part of the book, however. The retelling itself was nothing special. In fact, I thought it was weak in a few places, and it was odd how at the beginning the author seems to go out of the way to avoid saying that Persephone is not an ordinary girl. Is it supposed to be a surprise? That seems like a strange approach to mythology. If you're only getting one book on this topic I would definitely recommend Penelope Proddow's Demeter and Persephone: Homeric Hymn Number Two over this version.