Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Cloaked in Red - Vivian Vande Velde This book got my back up from the start, by opening with an introduction that made fun of the Red Riding Hood story in particularly lame and stupid ways. First of all, don't try to be funny if you don't know how (thinking about the VVV books I've read, humor is a weak point for her). Second, isn't it some kind of party foul to make fun of the very thing you are ripping off to sell your not-very-good short stories? Because most of the stories here were pretty weak. The couple that were better really aren't related to Red Riding Hood and felt like she stuck in a couple extraneous details to make them marginally relevant. Overall it felt like she had one Red Riding Hood-inspired story and decided to throw together some other discarded writing to make a collection just so she could have a book to take advantage of the current popularity of this genre of YA.