Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Lowney's cook book, illustrated in colors; a new guide for the housekeeper, especially intended as a full record of delicious dishes sufficient for any well-to-do family, clear enough for the beginner, and complete enough for ambitious providers - Maria Willett Howard I have the 1912 edition of this book, not the facsimile. It is awesome, full of funky menu suggestions, elaborate place settings, luridly colored butchering diagrams, weird foods no one eats any more, and multiple "receipts" for what to modern diners seem like pretty much identical versions of the same staple (eg. mayonnaise).

My copy belonged to a great-grandmother and is especially fascinating to me because it contains not only her hand-written notes but ephemera such as her gas bill and professional brochures (she was a dentist). I can't wait to try the recipe for Lemon Butter she wrote in the back cover. Looks like it would come out similar to lemon curd... yum...