Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Night Runner - Max  Turner Voice is the strong point of this twist on the teen vampire thriller. The main character has lived in near-isolation in a medical facility since age eight, and Turner does an excellent job portraying a fairly normal but highly sheltered boy. Zack has standard teen interests -- books, movies, sports, the opposite sex -- but because of his lack of contact with his peers or the world in general his reactions and speech are often off kilter, sometimes without him noticing, since he has little experience in assessing the emotional reactions of strangers. Watching him try to process new experiences and talk to new people was the most interesting aspect of the book. The plot had potential but ultimately failed to pan out, in my opinion. The ending seemed contrived and didn't fit with the slower pace of the rest of the book.