Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
Bad Rats (with Audio CD) - Eric Drachman, James Muscarello Disappointingly obvious and unnecessarily dichotomous "message" story about the importance of creativity.

Some young rats are in trouble for singing, dancing, daydreaming etc while out in the big, dangerous world. A teacher rat tries to explain to them how they need to be unnoticed and careful in order to not get killed by bigger animals. But after the children give creative performances he changes his mind.

I'm all in favor of not stifling creativity, but this seems like a poorly thought-out vehicle. Why pick rats to convey this message? The older rats are right, their kids will get eaten by cats if they wander down the middle of the road singing. It bothered me that this was presented as some sort of either/or choice, as if one couldn't be creative and sensible. Why can't the rats be creative when safe at home and careful when out foraging for food? I feet like the author is one of those individuals who use art as an excuse for personal flakiness. And I wasn't wowed by the illustrations, either.