Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
You Can Sketch: A Step-by-Step Guide for Absolute Beginners
Jackie Simmonds
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar
A Day With No Crayons - Elizabeth Rusch, Chad Cameron After Liza draws on the wall, her mother takes her crayons away. At first Liza can't imagine how she'll get through the day, but gradually she learns to see color and beauty in the world around her.

I really like the positive message about imagination and enjoyed seeing Liza's excitement at her discovery of the artistic potential of everyday objects and places. However, I was a little bothered by Liza's destructive behavior in public places (tearing up the flowers in the playground, smearing mud all over the basketball court). Why is she out unsupervised? I wasn't clear as to her exact age, but would imagine that if she is too young to know better than draw on walls and tear up plants that aren't hers, she would be too young to go to the park alone. She seems to be out quite a long time. Likewise, she covered several feet of wall before her mother noticed. Doesn't this kid get any supervision?