Mirimirage

Allusion is not Illusion

Winter's Tales
Karen Blixen, Isak Dinesen
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Penguin Classics)
Rebecca West, Christopher Hitchens
Lonely Werewolf Girl
Martin Millar

Text:Ur

Text: Ur - Forrest Aguirre

I would say "highly recommended" but these stories are definitely not going to be to everyone's taste. They are unusual, intelligent, often bizarre, sometimes plotless. But mostly awesome!

My very favorite was Toiya Kristen Finley's "Avatar of Background Noise". I was squeaking with excitement as I read it, even though trying to follow the multiple sets of incomplete embedded notes nearly gave me a headache.

Other stories I especially liked:

"Last Transmission or Man with a Robotic Ermine" by Joshua Cohen. Thanks for making me even more leery of the entire Mustelinae clan, Mr. Cohen!

"Fugue-State" by Brian Evenson. The end of the world may be pretty horrific, but don't worry, you'll hardly notice.

"The Devil Met Baldrick Beckenbauer" by Tom Miller. Dueling banjos, but with footnotes. Across time. By insane folklorists.

"Incipit" by Jay Lake and Ruth Nestvold. Enkidu as last Neanderthal.

"A Play for Boy and Sock-puppets" by E. Sedia. Don't let them speak for you.

"Bluecoat Jack" by Sarah Totton. Making things out of other people is wrong. So is opting out of life.

"Strangers on a Train" Tamar Yellin. Poor, poor Terri.

Will definitely be looking for more writing by all these talented people.Also now looking forward even more to soon reading editor Forrest Aguirre's new release Heraclix & Pomp.

Lastly, kudos to Jennifer Barnes, who did the layout; these non-standard formatting ideas often fail to work out they way authors imagine them, but in this case I found them very effective.